There are now geographical website addresses available for licensing for every suburb and town in Australia (except capital cities).
Fact Sheet (PDF 84KB)
What is a Community Geographic Domain Name (CGDN)?
What can the CGDN licence be used for?
The licence is solely for the purpose of operating a community website developed for the benefit of the entire local community. The website should include all interests within the local community. As a guideline, website content should include but is not limited to: community events, local business directory, community directory, general information about the community, local news and a community feedback facility. See Policy 3 for more details.
What are the benefits of a CGDN?
- It is the easiest way for your community to be found on the internet through the website address itself.
- Allows community and business organisations who can't afford their own website a web presence
- A CGDN community website is one that truly represents your community due to the Policy Rules and Guidelines in place to preserve the names for use by the relevant community.
- Provides a communication tool to help foster and develop stronger communities by promoting local economic activity and participation in social, cultural, learning and civic activities.
- Provides a "community of communities" that can share experiences and the ability to communicate with each other.
Who can apply for a CGDN?
Any community group which is a not-for-profit legal entity or a special committee of local council and broadly representative of the local community. See Policy 2 for more details.
What does a CGDN licence cost?
A two year licence fee will cost between $45 and $79 (inc GST) depending on which registrar you choose after your licence application is approved by .au Domain Administration (auDA). See here for more details.
What other support is available to CGDN groups?
In addition to helping community groups gather and develop all the necessary eligibility requirements for a successful application, they also provide at no cost:
- Promotion of their community website and any ongoing initiatives, via the media, CGDN website and e-newsletters to the community of subscribers of CGDN news
- A forum for communities to share their experiences and develop best practice - click here to get involved
- An on-line “how to kit” – including information/assistance on forming a Community Website Group, forming a not-for-profit organisation, website development, community consultation, launch & marketing and sustainability – Click here for more details
The pilot study for the CGDN initiative indicated that some community groups may not have the technical skills to design and build their own community websites. An optional cost-effective, self managed community website content management system (Community Site in a Box)is available for those communities who do not feel comfortable designing and building their own and provide on-going unlimited help to all users.
What does the Community Site in a Box provide?
This "off the shelf website" is an automated site builder with an integrated Content Management System (CMS) and includes the following - the annual fee is $99 inc GST:
- Selection of templates that the user can edit to change background images, fonts and colours
- Content management system to add, edit or delete sections, pages, text, documents and images
- Functions such as news, events, directories, contact us, search and site map
- Custom roles - the ability to create different roles for any level of permission access
- Allowance for sponsor ads and related website traffic statistics
- RSS Feed Widget - that enables RSS feeds from other sources streaming live data to your site
- Gallery Widget - allowing the upload of a file of images that will be displayed in a gallery style on your site
- The ability for the community to submit their news, events, directory listings via the community website
- The ability to issue unlimited individual geographic email addresses to your community - accessed via the community website portal which can encourage more visits to your website, eg. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Statistics on web traffic
- Includes web hosting and Help/Support
- Mobile phone compatibility - detects if the browser is viewing via a mobile device and displays for easier viewing
- No limit to the size of your website content